Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Keywords and Subject headings
How to find subject headings:
- Choose a word or a phrase that better desrcibes your chosen topic.
- Go through the search results you got and choose 2 or more of these results.
- Start searching again using these results.
- The more you repeat the above steps the more your research results will be precise.
Searching for a word or phrase using web search engines.
Subject heading searching:
Searching databases by using most relevant terms that better describes your topic.
Keywords Vs. Subject headings
- Natural language words.
- Flexible in searching.
- Can combine words together.
- The search result could be too many or only few.
- The chance in getting irrelevant results is higher.
- Pre-defined words.
- Less flexible in searching.
- Need to know the exact pre-defined word.
- If you get many results use subheadings to limit your search and narrow the broad subject.
- The search results usually relevant and to the topic.