Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Open Access Flow Chart (click to expand)
Open Access Publishing with Wiley Journals
Publishing in an Open Access journal with Wiley does not affect the basics of the publication process. An authors must still submit their paper to a journal and it must still be accepted and pass editing and peer review. The difference comes when the article is submitted for publication. And there are two variations with Wiley journals. One is for journals that use the pure Gold OA model (i.e. all articles within the journal use the OA access model. The other is for Wiley journals that use the Hybrid model. In these journals, some articles are Open Access and some are closed access, at the author's choice.
- Author submits a proposed article to the journal, using the Wiley Author Center.
- When asked who will pay the APC for the article, the author should select the first option, "My institution or funder has an agreement with Wiley and may pay"
- The author then will select Khalifa University as the institution (using the lookup tool to get the institutional code).
- The APC administrators will be notified of a new paper, and approve the charge, if the journal is a Q1 journal. Wiley will notify you that this step is completed.
- The paper then goes through the normal process of editing and peer-review prior to acceptance.
- If the paper is accepted, the author will be asked to acknowledge the license agreement.
- The paper is published.
Wiley Author Portal and Tools
At any point, authors can use the Wiley author portal to check on the status of their submitted papers (including all previously published papers), find a journal to publish in, find out about preparing your article, and many more useful tools.
Wiley also has a page full of resources for OA authors: https://www.wiley.com/network/researchers/licensing-and-open-access
Wiley Author Training Workshop
Khalifa University OA Policy
The KU Open Access Policy is in the approval process. It will be published here when it is approved.